Monday, November 24, 2008

Twilight and a Touching Story

It has been so long since I updated. Things have been crazy busy, which is a good thing, but I am ready to slow down just a bit.


We (10 of us) went and saw the movie Twilight on the 20th at midnight showing. The movie was great. I have heard several comments that it wasn't as good as they expected, but let me just say this: It is a movie based off a pre-teen - teen novel. I loved it and so did my teen daughter! I hope you get a chance to go see it.


Now on to the touching story:

This lady right here is our Mamaw. She is 97 years old and lived on her own until she suffered a small stroke. She is always so chipper and happy and she didn't retired until she was in well in 80's. Within the past year we have seen her decline and before her decline she always talked about how much she loved being at the nursing home, so we know they are very nice to her and treat her well. She gets her hair done, her nails are always polished and she is treated with respect.
Her memory is starting to decline and at times gets very confused. She says she wants to go "home" and at times tells us she has been visited by someone who has passed away years ago. My parents went with other family members to have a Thanksgiving dinner with her this past weekend. While they were enjoying themselves, a nurse came in and checked to make sure they had everything they needed and she decided she would share a story about Mamaw.
She said she was pretty new there and had happened by Mamaws room, she noticed that the door was shut. She knocked on the door and asked her if she was okay. Mamaw replied "Don't come in here". The nurse asked again if everything was okay and Mamaw's reply was "I said don't come in here." The nurse explained that she then tried to open the door and it was met with some resistance and she was concerned that Mamaw was okay. She went ahead and pushed the door open a little more and said she was wanting to make sure everything was alright. When she came through the door, there sat Mamaw with a very disappointed expression on her face and Mamaw looked at her and said "Oh no, now you have done it, now you will never get out of here".
It really touched my heart to hear my dad tell me this story, I know Mamaw is happy and treated well, but it still is sad. I haven't been able to go and visit her as often as I would like to, to be honest she doesn't really know who I am anymore. I will be going by to visit her this week and plan on going more often.
I hope you have a wonderful week and I will be trying to update again soon.

1 comments:

YellowRose said...

She is so sweet....

Twilight was fun, and though not as good as the book, still good!